View Single Post
Old February 21 2011, 02:15 AM   #75
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: ST: Shaping a Cardassian - "Strength Without Sacrifice is Useless"

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
Do you think Dorak would be happier to see Cardassia occupied by the Federation/Klingon/Romulan forces for years?
Not occupied. But I think that Cardassia could have elected someone better for them (not better for the Federation) than Ghemor. And if the rules under which Ghemor was elected were anything like what they are in the US or UK, an impeachment or a vote of no confidence could have forced an early--but proper--turnover of power given the emergency of Ghemor complying with the demand to weaken the military. That kind of weakening wouldn't happen overnight, and a vote of no confidence could be done quickly, before much, if any, damage was done. (And if the Federation tried to interfere in such a legal, legitimate process, even Federation citizens would cry out in outrage.)

Leading a coup, on the other hand--that just perpetuates the cycle of "might makes right" that was exactly the problem with Cardassia. That's not how you prove yourself to be trustworthy, or in the right. That's the connection Jarol is missing, and that I hope she'll learn to recognize.

A look like Gul Dukat? When?
All she felt was disappointment and hurt. She wasn't even angry.
The part where she looked at Dorak like a mother chastising her child. That sounded like a perfect description of the sickly sweet, patronizing look Dukat got sometimes (with a different gender, of course), and I thought you wrote it that way on purpose given the extreme influence Dukat had on her.