View Single Post
Old February 20 2011, 04:49 AM   #191
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

30. Starship Troopers 3: Marauder (C-)

This is the second time I've seen this film, inspired by a six dollar sale price at Blockbuster (for the film on Blu-Ray) and a recent thread. By no means can I describe it as good, but for all its faults (for one thing, it's at least a 40 million dollar movie with a 10 million dollar budget) it manages to provide much of the sharp satire that went missing in the first abysmal sequel to Verhoeven's brilliant subversion of the original novel.

That said, many of the performances are just awful. It says something that Casper Van Dien is better than (most) of his co-stars. Also, some of the visual allusions are more than I can handle. I'm especially thinking of the silly quotation of religious imagery at the end. That said, it also includes the brilliant "A. God exists, B. He's on our side, and C. He wants us to Win." Fednet bit, so it's hard to gauge it's religious politics.

Oh, and there's a musical number, obviously pardoying John Ashcroft. It might be the finest moment in the film, which sounds rather odd, but see the film and you'll know what I mean.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote