View Single Post
Old February 14 2011, 10:09 PM   #43
Mutara Nebula 1967
Captain

Re: CGI goddess RAPUNZEL from TANGLED appreciation thread.

melancholymecha wrote: View Post
Mutara Nebula 1967 wrote: View Post
melancholymecha wrote: View Post
I guess I need to see it again, i was kinda disapointed with it, it just seemed so generic & cookie cutter. I know there's not much love for the 2d animated films Disney made during the 2000's(Atlantis,Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Lilo & Stitch, etc...) but I actually thought those at least tried to do different things & break the norm.
Cookie cutter is NOT a description I would associate with TANGLED.
Here's a couple of points on why
FLYNN-the hero is an anti-hero. In the fairytale he was a Prince..here he is a thief with sticky fingers until you guessed it...he meets Rapunzel.

The villain MOTHER GOTHEL is not some completly iredeemdable well "cartoon villian". She has an AMBIGUITY to her actions that sets her apart from say a Cruellla Devil.

The Animals (with great personality) do NOT talk.

Flynn, he was ok but I think they could have pushed his anti-heroness more. I knew the minute I saw him he was gonna end up a nice guy at the end.
Gothel was good (great design) but the animals? the horse... this is the same damn horse that appears in almost every 2d Disney film! there needs to be a moratorium on sidekick horses. and what was the point of the chameleon other than to sell plush toys?

Another thing that bugged me is that they ruined Alan Menken's songs for Rapunzel by turning them into pop drivel(switching Chenowith with Moore was a big mistake but hey I bet it helped sell more tickets to tweens like they wanted). Oh & I really think this movie should have been hand drawn & not cgi in the first place like it was orignally intended to be, but thats for another thread.
Hi
I will agree with you on the score as I would have prefered a more '"Orchestral" score over pop tunes that while good ultimatly are not completly memorable.

As for the CGI-I listened to a podcast from the UK premier of TANGLED (which you can find at the ALL THINGS RAPUNZEL part of the blog found here

http://rapunzelpictureparadise.wordp...-and-rapunzel/

in which the producers reveal an old timer at Disney revealed that Walt Disney himself declared RAPUNZEL too tough a nut to crack (which we can infer was 2D since that was all that was available to Walt back in the studio heydey) So in other words this film NEEDED to wait for the invention of CGI to capture that glorious hair of hers and all its uses.

On the same podcast the MAXIMAS is addressed. Orginally MAX was suppose to be a DOG but was changed to a horse. I think that was the right call as we got the humor of a horse ACTING like a dog. Pascal well...he is stricly a PLOT DEVICE to enable Rapunzel to interact with something when FLYNN and GOTHEL were not present.

"Looks like the good folks of Island Town are roundin' up a possy and I bet Jack leads the charge in a big white hat."
Mutara Nebula 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote