View Single Post
Old February 14 2011, 12:11 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

Re: CGI goddess RAPUNZEL from TANGLED appreciation thread.

^Like I said, most of the film is set on her 18th birthday. True, her features are a little infantilized with the smooth features and oversized eyes, but that's a pretty standard practice in cartoon caricatures, particularly of women (see Betty Boop or most any anime character). And it's not like there aren't real, adult women with childlike features. My best friend in college was so girlish-looking that she could pass for a teenager well into her 30s.

And like I said, it's rather shallow and sleazy to assume that our admiration for the character design and animation must be purely sexual. If someone waxes poetic about the beauty of the Mona Lisa, it doesn't mean they want to take the painting to bed. It means they admire it on an aesthetic level and appreciate the skill and inspiration of the artist. Rapunzel is an artistic creation, perhaps Glen Keane's greatest masterpiece as a character designer and animator. How is it wrong to admire the beauty of an artist's work?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote