View Single Post
Old February 13 2011, 09:20 PM   #37
DFScott
Captain

View DFScott's Twitter Profile
Re: Worst Star trek actor ever

Guest star: I'm tempted to say, the fellow who plays a guy named Lutan in the fourth episode of TNG. He claims Lt. Yar for his own and tries to trade her for a vaccine. (Now you know the scene, right?) "Then there will be no treaty, no vaccine, and no Lt. Yar!" (Isn't it romantic when a man refers to his lover by her rank?)

But no. The performance which brings abject, seething pain to my mind whenever I dare to recall it, is right here: Michael McKean, taking a break from playing some lawyer, to portray the monochrome clown in the Romper Room of Pain from the first (worst) season of Voyager. Warning: These clips may not be suitable for some humans.

Series regular: Almost a quarter-century ago now, I did something I have to admit that, in retrospect, I regret. Kind of in jest, without coming to recognize the power it would have, I started an online campaign ("online" back then meaning, on one of the pre-Internet national modem networks) to get Lt. Yar's character, um, killed. And to some extent, we were successful. I regret it because, well, that was worse than Denise Crosby deserved, and what I suppose I would have preferred is if she were given a better character and she had the time to adapt to it. Because in "Yesterday's Enterprise" (which took place in a timeline where her character did not die), Crosby was truly the star of the episode.

I've said it before, but Denise, I'm still sorry.

A lot of people disagree with me on this, but it's my opinion: The most disappointing performance overall from a series regular, from the front of the series to the back, comes from Avery Brooks. Too many of his episodes seemed to have been phoned in. There comes. A time. When you wish. Each sentence. Were not. Delivered. Like a bad. Shatner. Impression. From deep inside. A mayonnaise jar.

Who would I have preferred? I don't think there are many people who would disagree with me (even if they liked Brooks) that a superb Capt. Sisko would have been portrayed by Phil Morris.

All that said, my Spock's Brain award for truly worst performance by a regular performer goes to Robert Beltran as Chakotay. Seriously, something handcrafted by Edgar Bergen would have done a better job. Oh yea, his character wasn't written all that well. And I agree with his critique of his character and of himself. Doesn't change anything.

And I dare anybody to come up with clear reasons why Wes Studi would not have been a far greater Chakotay. Studi would have been for Chakotay what Nimoy was for Spock. He would have been a reason to watch the show. His interplay with Kate Mulgrew would have been phenomenal. Completely missed opportunity there.

DF "Why Talk When You Can Dance?" Scott