View Single Post
Old February 13 2011, 08:20 PM   #37
View DFScott's Twitter Profile
Re: Worst Star trek actor ever

Guest star: I'm tempted to say, the fellow who plays a guy named Lutan in the fourth episode of TNG. He claims Lt. Yar for his own and tries to trade her for a vaccine. (Now you know the scene, right?) "Then there will be no treaty, no vaccine, and no Lt. Yar!" (Isn't it romantic when a man refers to his lover by her rank?)

But no. The performance which brings abject, seething pain to my mind whenever I dare to recall it, is right here: Michael McKean, taking a break from playing some lawyer, to portray the monochrome clown in the Romper Room of Pain from the first (worst) season of Voyager. Warning: These clips may not be suitable for some humans.

Series regular: Almost a quarter-century ago now, I did something I have to admit that, in retrospect, I regret. Kind of in jest, without coming to recognize the power it would have, I started an online campaign ("online" back then meaning, on one of the pre-Internet national modem networks) to get Lt. Yar's character, um, killed. And to some extent, we were successful. I regret it because, well, that was worse than Denise Crosby deserved, and what I suppose I would have preferred is if she were given a better character and she had the time to adapt to it. Because in "Yesterday's Enterprise" (which took place in a timeline where her character did not die), Crosby was truly the star of the episode.

I've said it before, but Denise, I'm still sorry.

A lot of people disagree with me on this, but it's my opinion: The most disappointing performance overall from a series regular, from the front of the series to the back, comes from Avery Brooks. Too many of his episodes seemed to have been phoned in. There comes. A time. When you wish. Each sentence. Were not. Delivered. Like a bad. Shatner. Impression. From deep inside. A mayonnaise jar.

Who would I have preferred? I don't think there are many people who would disagree with me (even if they liked Brooks) that a superb Capt. Sisko would have been portrayed by Phil Morris.

All that said, my Spock's Brain award for truly worst performance by a regular performer goes to Robert Beltran as Chakotay. Seriously, something handcrafted by Edgar Bergen would have done a better job. Oh yea, his character wasn't written all that well. And I agree with his critique of his character and of himself. Doesn't change anything.

And I dare anybody to come up with clear reasons why Wes Studi would not have been a far greater Chakotay. Studi would have been for Chakotay what Nimoy was for Spock. He would have been a reason to watch the show. His interplay with Kate Mulgrew would have been phenomenal. Completely missed opportunity there.

DF "Why Talk When You Can Dance?" Scott
a.k.a. Scott M. Fulton, III
Contributor, The New Stack
Contributor, CMSWire
DFScott is offline   Reply With Quote