Thread: Minecraft
View Single Post
Old February 9 2011, 12:06 AM   #217
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Minecraft

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I'm actually preparing to build a large round tower. I don't know how high it will be, but I imagine it to be some kind of lookout point, and maybe if I'm successful with that, I'll build more of them around the world.

I've been talking with my friend who runs the server I'm on, and he started using one of the texture packs. This led me to talking about a feature the game could have for server runners in setting a texture pack as a default pack, to be downloaded to those who don't have it yet. It wouldn't be high-bandwidth considering once someone has it, they'll have it and it won't have to be downloaded again, and you usually have the same people returning, so it's not as if it lots of bandwidth would always be used. This more or less would allow servers to have custom texture sets that everyone would see and make servers feel distinct.
Ah, yes, exactly how the original Quake did things. As long as you just had custom sounds, models, and maps (and not custom code), the client would automatically download the required assets from the server. Oldies are goodies.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote