Old February 6 2011, 04:59 PM   #148
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

10. Black Swan (B+)
11. Made in Dagenham (B)
12. Gentleman's Agreement (A-)
13. Barney's Version (A-)

Two films set in Canada inside a month's span; good times. This is a new film adaptation of a 1997 novel by Mordecai Richler (whose The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz was made into a notable Richard Dreyfuss film in the mid-1970s), which was his last work before his death in 2001. The novel is one of Richler's most entertaining, and the film version is pretty good; it's a bit less caustic than Richler's humour (and shrinks/condenses a lot of plot elements), but it's a good balance of humour and sentiment. Paul Giamatti won the Golden Globe for his performance as Barney, and it's well-deserved; it's too bad he didn't get an Oscar nomination for it. I always have a soft spot for Giamatti, since an actor with his looks really has no business headlining movies in modern Hollywood, but he manages it on the basis of undeniable talent. Also of note, Rosamund Pike as his third wife and true love Miriam (Pike is #1 on my list of actresses who deserve to be bigger than they are) and Dustin Hoffman as his dad. The film got an Oscar nomination for makeup, and I hope it wins; the aging effects are great, following the characters from the early 1970s until 2010.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote