View Single Post
Old January 31 2011, 07:16 PM   #642
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude...but how can you be a big fan of someone's if you've only seen a handful of his movies?
I've only seen a handful of his movies, since trying to put the lightning of Robin Williams in the bottle of a movie is often a dubious prospect and it only occasionally really works. But I've seen every bit of standup he's done since the 1970s, have watched his career since Mork's first appearance on Happy Days and when you could only catch him at about 2 a.m. on At the Improv, seen all of his great movie roles, seen him interviewed (his 2-hour Inside the Actor's Studio is a tour de force bit of instruction on improv) numerous times - it's quite possible to be a huge fan of Robin Williams, who is first and foremost a comic genius and only secondarily a film actor, and only have seen a handful of his movies.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
But maybe it's just me but when I look at Robin Williams I don't think of "hard acting, dramatic ball of awesome" I think of hirsute coke-addled nutcase.
I suppose it's not just you, but the many people who are primarily familiar with him through his film work. As for coke-addled - he's been completely clean since the death of his good friend John Belushi in 1982 and the birth of his first child in 1983. That's over 25 years sober. His frenetic energy is all natural. He frequently talks about his drug days, his kids and his crazy energy in both his stand up and in interviews.

He's premiering on Broadway in a couple of months in Bengal Tiger in the Baghdad Zoo, a fascinating work I saw last year which is poignant, frightening and hilarious. I assume he's playing the tiger. I'd give my right arm to see that show.

PS - if you're an online gamer, you may have played with him at one point or another. He's an avid gamer, named his daughter Zelda, and regularly plays Battlefield 2, among others.