View Single Post
Old January 29 2011, 05:56 AM   #125
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Movies Seen in 2011

1. From Russia with Love (C)
2. Delicatessen (A)
3. Goldfinger (B)
4. Coraline (A)
5. Toy Story 3 (A+)
6. Over the Hedge (B)
7. The Fighter (A-)

The Fighter

Despite not being a fan of the sport, I've found myself enjoying such boxing films as Cinderella Man and Million Dollar Baby (but not any of the Rocky films), and now The Fighter. For me, the major draw to this film is the stars: Bale, Wahlberg, Adams and particularly Leo. All four provide incredible performances with Bale and Leo being especially chameleonlike. I don't see Bruce Wayne, Patrick Bateman, Kay Howard or Toni Bernette. I see Dicky Eklund and Alice Ward, two characters who are very different from anything I've seen Bale and Howard play before.

Despite this, I still found myself much more interested Micky Ward's story than Dicky's and this is credit to both Wahlberg's performance and the excellent script. Reading up on the film after watching it, I was both amazed and impressed by the level of dedication that Wahlberg put into the role, training for four years while working on six other films, invited both brothers to live with him to get into character, and even refused a stunt double in order to take the actual punches. A lot of people have and will continue to praise Bale's weight lost method acting, but let's not overlook the incredible work Wahlberg also put into the film.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote