View Single Post
Old January 20 2011, 07:08 PM   #157
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

Thought I'd pop in this thread, as I too am watching Farscape for the very first time right now. I'm mostly watching it while at work (it's a front desk job, and there's often f**k all to do, especially during the night shifts, so I can usually get several episodes done before I go home). After listening to people on this board rave about the show for years, my interest was piqued. I found the complete series DVD set on sale a few weeks ago, and decided to see what I was missing.

Last weekend, I blew through Season 1, and now I'm on Season 2 -- just finished "My Three Crichtons". Up next, the "Look at the Princess" trilogy.

So far, I would say I like it... but I don't love it. Given all the hype, I was kind of expecting to be blown away, but a lot of the episodes so far have felt like standalone filler. Which isn't necessarily bad --it's still quite entertaining-- but I'm hoping for more.

Fortunately, I'm a patient man, and I'm getting the sense that the series is about to kick it into high gear very soon. I've seen some hints of greatness in some of the episodes; I was impressed with a number of them near the end of Season 1 (the "Nerve"/"The Hidden Memory" two-parter pretty much had me hooked), and "The Way We Weren't" in this season showed me what this show is capable of. If I get more stuff like this, I'll be a happy camper indeed.

Another thing I've liked is how all the characters are very flawed, quirky, and interesting. Crichton's got the "everyman hero" routine down pat, and while his headstrong nature can be irksome at times, it does help keep things lively (and I can just imagine how frustrated the other characters are by his constant pop-culture references that never make any sense to them ). The evolution of characters like Aeryn and D'argo has worked well so far. Zhaan is always interesting to watch -- and for a bald, blue, walking plant, she's actually rather alluring (speaking of which, why doesn't she have hair? The other female Delvians we've seen did). Rygel is always amusing, although I've occasionally wondered why they just don't toss him off the ship (he really seems to be more trouble than he's worth at times). Chiana -- she's a slippery one. I like her. Sometimes she seems to genuinely want to help out and be a part of the crew, and other times it appears she's just looking out for number one. You're never quite sure what's going on in that head of hers.

So yeah, I'll probably get through a few more episodes tonight; I'm looking forward to it. Anyway, as you were.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote