Thread: Minecraft
View Single Post
Old January 19 2011, 09:19 PM   #204
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: Minecraft

Canadave wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Canadave wrote: View Post

Oh yeah, I realize this, but it would still come off visually as one row being hidden. That would bother me.

And that's an impressive looking mineshaft, btw. I tend to dig down on a 45 degree angle, myself. Makes it a bit more work to get back to the surface, but I find it makes the digging process more flexible—I can avoid caves and lava pools if I want\need to.
That actually used to be my strategy. On my last world, I zigzagged up and down, diagonally, across the landscape. What I found is that you go through shovels/pickaxes pretty quickly that way and the payoff isn't so great. The branching mineshaft strategy is much more productive as far as I have seen.
Oh, I still use the branching tunnel approach, but to actually go down to the bedrock, say, I zig-zag.
I find it's quicker just to dig straight down. If you consider that you'll pick up all the dirt and cobblestone you mine on the way down, to get back up when you're done you'd just hop-stack blocks all the way to the surface.

Or, if you want to leave the shaft open, be sure to pack a stack of ladders.