Thread: Minecraft
View Single Post
Old January 19 2011, 07:51 PM   #202
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Minecraft

Canadave wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Canadave wrote: View Post

I suppose, but I think the completist in me would get annoyed at the hidden row.
Ah, but there is no "hidden row." Think about it.

If most veins are 2x2, then having two parallel horizontal shafts with 3 blocks in between is guaranteed to expose the vein in at least one of the shafts.
Oh yeah, I realize this, but it would still come off visually as one row being hidden. That would bother me.

And that's an impressive looking mineshaft, btw. I tend to dig down on a 45 degree angle, myself. Makes it a bit more work to get back to the surface, but I find it makes the digging process more flexible—I can avoid caves and lava pools if I want\need to.
That actually used to be my strategy. On my last world, I zigzagged up and down, diagonally, across the landscape. What I found is that you go through shovels/pickaxes pretty quickly that way and the payoff isn't so great. The branching mineshaft strategy is much more productive as far as I have seen.

Digging the big shaft straight down was just for fun, really. That stone walkway at the very top leads from my base lobby (just a small workshop area in a shack) to an underground tree farm, connected to which is another workshop, a storage room, and then a corridor that leads to a ladder, which goes all the way up into that castle/tower in my other picture. I like to have everything connected.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote