Re: Movies Seen in 2011

1. The Fighter: B-
2. Batman(90's saga): A-,B-,C-,D
3. Star Wars OT-Special Edition: B+, A, B
4. The Green Hornet: B
5. True Grit(1969): C+
6. Lord of the Rings saga: (A,A,A)
7. The Machinist: A-

Was busy over the MLK weekend with movies.

True Grit(1969) - I admit it's possible that since I hadn't seen the original since college when I was 20/21 back in the mid 90's AND having seen the new one twice that my grade is possibly skewed. I thought the pacing was much more slow even for films of the general era in which it was made that I've seen. The more happy ending must be one of those changes they made for the time it was released. The new one is more aligned to the book and therefore more 'gritty'. I can see better now how even die hard John Wayne fans think his Oscar for the film was more sympathy for a colleague than actually deserving for this one film.

Lord of the Rings saga - I haven't seen these films since 2004 when I friend got a group of us together to watch the DC versions one day. Yes it took a whole day to watch 12+hrs of film which is why I recall it well. I've always appreciated the films but they aren't a 'go to' film for me. Never owned them till Black Friday when the widescreens were $2 each at Wal-Mart. So for that price I'd get them. They really are well made movies and with Fellowship basically 10yrs old it looks like it could've been made just last year. They all hold up very well from a production standpoint and should for years to come. With The Hobbit going into production I'm glad I'm refreshed on Middle Earth now cause this isn't a series I'll frequent again for another 6-7 years.

The Machinist - I finally got this moved up the chain in my Netflix queue after hearing much about it over the years. My concern when watching a movie after nearly everyone else has praised it is that my expectations might be unfairly too high thus letting me down. I didn't find this to be the case at all. For the other 1-2 people who haven't seen it I will not spoil it here but will say I didn't have it all figured out, parts but not all. It's a good film and one that holds your attention in a good and disturbing way all at the same time.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote