Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

1. Walk Hard (A)
2. Adam’s Rib (B)
3. There’s Always Tomorrow (B)
4. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (C-)
5. Lady in the Dark (C+)
6. Moon (A)

Lady in the Dark: This is a completely weird musical starring Ginger Rogers about psychoanalysis. It's not hard to believe that it's an obscure title that's never been made available on video as a result. The film's idea of psychoanalysis, by the way, is hilarious. Rogers' shrink spends most of the sessions yelling at his patient, telling her exactly what her dreams mean (and there isn't a tinge of ambiguity in them). And don't get me started on the romantic element. At first, Rogers is involved with a man whose wife won't give him a divorce. Then, she gives him a divorce, so she immediately decides not to marry him. Then, she's involved with a movie star and is engaged to him. And then in the final scene, she kisses the office jackass who has treated her with nothing but contempt (right after she promotes him to her position). It's even odder in context.

All that said, the complete surreality of the musical sequences (the characters only sing when Rogers is dreaming, which probably makes this an early musical to justify the singing, no?) make the movie worth seeing, especially in the form I saw it--a rare nitrate print.

Moon: Re-watching this film again with friends, I still think it's one of the best films of 2009. It's certainly become one of my favorite SF films. Here's hoping that Duncan Jones can get the side-quel, Mute, off the ground soon.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote