Re: Movies Seen in 2011

1. In the Heat of the Night (A+)
2. The Passion of Joan of Arc (B)
3. The Passion of the Christ (A)
4. Mamma Mia! (B)
5. All About Eve (A)
6. Looking for Anne (B-)
7. 2001: A Space Odyssey (B+)

There was a special one-night showing of this at the local independent cinema, so I went, since I hadn't seen it before and this seemed like the obvious opportunity. Completely sold out, which isn't bad for a 43-year-old film.

I had a hard time rating this one. It has to go down as one of the more artistically ambitious films ever made, and it's influence on science fiction is almost incalculable. There's some interesting thematics going on, which makes the various sequences a bit more connected than they might initially appear; it's intellectually appealing. And yet, it's ponderous (I imagine that the special effects would have been much more impressive to someone watching in the late 1960s than today, though they're still quite impressive), and, when you get down to it, very sterile; it's hard to summon much real love/enthusiasm for it.

It's interesting to note that compared to many of his successor evil computers, HAL really doesn't seem to have many weapons at his disposal. After Dave discovers that HAL is evil, it's actually pretty easy to shut him down; HAL has no defences of any kind, and the only danger is because Dave was stupid enough to forget his helmet before going into the pod.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote