View Single Post
Old January 11 2011, 01:44 PM   #3215
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Starkers wrote: View Post
Leacock was on the bench, Clough dropped him after the Forest game and has kept him dropped. Anderson is still injured. Buxton was on the bench last night but probably isn't anywhere near match fit.
Personally, I'd probably have played O'Brien. Failing that, Leacock, despite the Forest performance, is a better option than shifting Brayford and playing one of your better midfielders at RB.

Well it's clear Nigel tried to play differently last night, what with Savage, Bailey and Addison in midfield, but it didn't work. I would have really thought if there was ever a game to play Martin in, this was it.
Far too negative. Three defensive midfielders was always going to give us problems creating much going forward. Besides, even with three defensive midfielders, they still waltzed through them time after time. Martin, probably won't play for us again, Nigel seems dead set against using wingers at all.

I have to admit that I think I've come to the end of my tether with them. I don't want us to live beyond our means but there has to be some middle ground. Part of me wishes they'd sell us, I'm just wary about who might buy us! Better GSE than another 3 amigos!
It's amazing how many people seem to have the notion that we can either spend nothing, or way beyond our means. Why can't we have modest investment? With the purchases of Brayford and Bailey alone Nigel's proven that he can put modest sums of money to good use. Instead, he's given nothing to work with.

Re who our likely owners would be if GSE decided to sell up, I'd be very, very surprised if Gadsby didn't come back in.

I like to think there's an alternate universe where Jewell didn't become our manager until after we went down so wasn't tarnished with our prem season. I think he is a better manager than his record with us would suggest.
Yes, I'd agree with this. I don't really know how much input Jewell had in the initial signings that were made in the January transfer window of the Premier League season, just after GSE had come in. Whatever that involvement was, the signings, were a huge millstone around our necks for quite some time.