View Single Post
Old January 6 2011, 06:59 AM   #74
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth
Re: Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
- I am reminded of a comment that I made in relation to a previous episode about the emotionality that the Henson puppeteers were able to display on the puppets. Pilot's anger and sadness in this episode completely blew me away with how realistic it looked on the puppet. What they were able to achieve is quite stunning. Naturally, the voice actor did a magnificent job as well.
I completely agree. I will never accept any person's excuse to not watch Farscape (or any other sophisticated use of muppets in film or television) simply because "they have muppets!" Because of the incredible puppetry, Pilot is one of my favorite characters because we see how alien he is. There are two separate moments in The Peacekeeper Wars that show how emotional Pilot and Rygel can be in mere presence alone.

Lastly, I have to point out that Crais actor Lani Tupu also voices Pilot.
This bit, I felt, was worth mentioning again... The puppetry work here is wonderful, not only in the artistry and physical presence of the actual puppets and animatronics, but the way that the production, writers, and cast very much treat them as they would a real character, not as a prop or a series gimmick. These are real characters with real feelings and reactions, even though they're not remotely human, they garner a lot of sympathy from us.

At the same time, though, Farscape does a good job of showing characters such as Rygel and Pilot as not just a quirky, different approach to humanity, like Star Trek was a little too guilty of sometimes (no worries, it's far from alone in doing that in SF), but as aliens that don't necessarily have human mores and motivations.
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote