View Single Post
Old January 1 2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Never Ending Sacrifice and DS9 relaunch

dispatcher812 wrote: View Post
I just finished reading The DSP relauch books. Well all except the Terok Nor Books, The left hand of Destiny books, Prophecy and Change and Hollow Men. (I was under the impression these were not part of the relauch, so I skipped them).
One or two of the stories in Prophecy and Change contain elements that were followed up in "Relaunch" novels. (Or rather, post-finale novels. The term "Relaunch" was originally only intended to refer to the initial promotional push for the post-finale DS9 novel line.) As for the others, they're all part of the same overall continuity, if not directly part of the same storylines. And they're all worth reading on their own merits.

However, After reading the Destiny Triology, and being an Ezri fan I wanted to see what lead up to her Command track. I also wanted to see what lead up to Ro becoming CAPTAIN of DS9 in Zero Sum Game. The relaunch never addressed those points. If they did I missed it.
After editor Marco Palmieri (the mastermind of the post-finale continuity) was laid off, his successor Margaret Clark decided to jump the DS9 continuity forward five years to put it in synch with the post-Nemesis continuity of the TNG and Titan novels (along with bumping Voyager up two years to put it in synch as well). Destiny is the first work to establish Ezri's captaincy and explain how she got it, and Zero Sum Game is the first mention of Ro's captaincy.

And The Never Ending Sacrifice was Barely a DS9 book. Was it all a suprise to the rest of you or did I truely miss something in the books. Thanks, Kevin
TNES was a sequel to a DS9 episode and an alternate viewpoint on many events that were important in the DS9 narrative, hence its being published under the DS9 label. One thing that can be said about the post-finale novels, though, is that much like the series itself, they weren't constrained by a narrow definition of their identity, but were willing to take chances and try different things. Hence the side stories like TLHoD and TNES. They're DS9 novels in the sense that they did the same thing DS9 itself did: offered a broader perspective on the established societies and politics of the Trek universe and explored them in greater depth.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote