CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

90. Tangled (A-)
91. The Fighter (B+)
92. The Red Shoes (A+)
93. True Grit (A-)
94. Chicago (A+)

My cousin had never watched this before, so while she was over for the holidays I rewatched it with her: what movie better captures the spirit of the holidays, eh?

It's as great as I remember - I put it on my end of the decade Top 10, after all. Pretty much all of the song sequences are instantly iconic, and the performances are all great, including CZJ's Oscar-winning role (she's not done a tremendous amount since then, though she's now halfway to EGOT). John C. Reilly is very affecting as the one honest person in town, who of course ends up trampled; he does a great job of adding some depth of feeling to what is otherwise mostly (and purposefully) flashy and light on its feet. This is also easily my favourite Richard Gere performance, complete with some very good (if oddly-accented) singing - his musical numbers are a highlight.

Director Rob Marshall (who also choreographed the film) makes an amazing debut, one that neither of his subsequent films have lived up to. Both were incredibly stylish, but Memoirs of a Geisha was kind of dull, and with Nine he tried to replicate his earlier musical, but to much less affect (the attempt to turn the musical numbers into fantasy sequences didn't really work there). He's directing the next Pirates of the Caribbean film, so hopefully he'll get back to form with a bit of a change of scenery.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote