View Single Post
Old December 23 2010, 12:40 PM   #407
Arctic Fox
Cute and fluffy. And cold.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Arctic Fox
Re: The Christmas Countdown Thread!

To avoid being woken up before 4am yet again I made a deal with my kids a few years ago: their stockings can ransacked whenever they wake up (some time between 2 and 4 in the morning, usually) but they cannot go downstairs to open their presents under the tree OR wake Mom and Dad up before 6am or their parents will be too tired and grumpy to deal with for the rest of the day. This arrangement has worked well over the past few years.

By the time I was a teenager my family had gotten into the habit of attending the early Christmas Eve mass and opening presents afterwards. My brood doesn't go to church but I still like the idea of opening presents on Christmas Eve, though we'll wait a few more years to initiate this because my boys will want to play with/watch/read every present, meaning that they wouldn't get to bed 'til dawn. Which sorta defeats the purpose of a calm, quiet present-opening session and a good night's sleep with a lie-in on Christmas morning.

Have we covered stupidest present/idea yet? Mine was buying my then 5-year-old daughter a bike and having to assemble it on Christmas Eve, with a missing bolt or two and instructions written in Cardassian. NEVER AGAIN.
Get on macloudt's bad side, and she'll Knit 1, Purl 2 your ass--Melakon

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
Arctic Fox is offline   Reply With Quote