View Single Post
Old December 18 2010, 11:20 PM   #57
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Babylon 5 vs Farscape

Scotty wrote: View Post
These shows are in a way comparable to Star Wars.

Farscape is the OT. Original, unique, groundbreaking, magical, unlike anything you've seen before and totally captivating.

Babylon 5 is the PT. Talky, wooden, dull, overly concerned with story instead of storytelling, but still has moments of sheer brilliance (mostly during seasons 3 and 4).

It is indeed like comparing apples and oranges. You can't really compare the two shows. But if you haven't seen either one, I'd recommend you start with Farscape.
What moments of sheer brilliance did the PT have? I must have gone for more popcorn then.

And you're being too kind to the OT. Hey I love it, but it's hardly unique - it's a cobbling together of a lot of pre-existing stuff: Arthurian legend, cowboy movies, WWII movies, coming-of-age stories, and lots of elements swiped from Marvel Comics (mutant superpowers, Doctor Doom). The Jedi are a mashup of the Bene Gesserit from Dune and Lensmen.

The characters were like people you'd meet at the mall, which made the movies very accessible, but the one element I think the PT is much better at, is creating a sense that we're dealing with an alien culture, that has many elements very similar to our own society, but in other ways is exotic and strange. Where the PT falls short is in taking those exotic characters and making them accessible anyway. The Clone Wars TV series is finally getting the balance between exoticism and accessibility right.

I think we can all agree that Babyscape 5 was the best space opera that never was (pity about the name, though).
You just made me visualize Crichton, Aeryn, G'kar, Londo and the rest as Muppet Babies.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote