Thread: Q Loves Picard?
View Single Post
Old December 17 2010, 04:30 AM   #12
Christopher
Writer

Re: Q Loves Picard?

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that can record information outside of themselves.
Yes, and that's a distinction that matters to us. A very alien being of a different order of intelligence might not agree with us about the significance of that distinction.

I'm guessing you're just making a joke with respect to the ability to create starships being no more impressive than a chimp using sign language.
No, I'm saying that it's unwise to assume that profoundly alien beings define their priorities and boundaries the same way we do -- especially when human beings can disagree among themselves about what boundaries are most significant. Don't take it for granted that your assumptions are universally shared even within humanity, let alone beyond it. It's always wise to consider the possibility that others might disagree with the definitions you see as axiomatic.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote