View Single Post
Old December 12 2010, 08:58 PM   #837
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

"Coming to America" - I think I've now seen all of the movies from the 'comedic renaissance' period of Eddie Murphy's career. This one was charming and it got big laughs from me. The only thing I didn't like was the romantic comedy cliche of the pretty girl that the nice main character likes being involved with a guy who is an asshole.

I loved the cameo from the "Trading Spaces" old men and was SHOCKED to find out that Eddie Murphy played the old Jewish man (I could recognize his other barber shop character). This movie should have won the best make-up Oscar just for Eddie in his Jewish man make-up. Incredible job. Beetlejuice Schmeetlejuice.

"Ran" - I'm just about ready to give up on Akira Kurosawa. I am now 0 and 3 with his movies. I've watched "The Seven Samurai", "Ikiru", and now this, and have not enjoyed a single one from start to finish. The first two had a few nice moments and this one had some good battle scenes, but for the most part, I was bored.

All I see in this guy's movies is melodramatic people screaming, people crying, and battle scenes (except in "Ikiru", where there are no battle scenes). I don't think they're bad movies, I guess they just aren't for me. I have liked many foreign movies and older movies, but this guy's movies always leave me cold. I think I'll give "Rashomon" a shot, and if I don't like that, I give up. Four is plenty of tries.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote