View Single Post
Old December 12 2010, 07:53 PM   #115
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel reve

Christopher wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote:
Yes, and I was unimpressed by him. I don't get why people make such a fuss over Spacey in general, and in particular I didn't find his Luthor all that interesting, in part because he was saddled with such an inadequate version of the character.
Spacey in general? The guy's a national treasure. American Beauty, Usual Suspects, LA Confidential, and the delightfully charming K-Pax? All meaningless?
I didn't say "meaningless," because I'm not so arrogant as to think my personal opinions are in any way representative of universal truth. If Spacey works for you as an actor, if his performances have meaning to you, I have no problem with that. But individuals have different tastes. I'm merely stating my own preferences as an individual. I'm not claiming they're better or more valid than anyone else's. And I'm certainly not going to call anyone else blind or deluded simply for having different tastes from my own.

As for the films you listed, I've only seen The Usual Suspects and LA Confidential, and neither of them did much for me. I don't get why people extol the twist ending of Suspects; I saw it coming a mile away (and no, I wasn't spoiled in advance, beyond knowing in general terms that there was a twist coming). And Confidential was an unpleasantly violent and nihilistic film in which the cops were no better than another group of mobsters, and I hate stories about mobsters. Heck, I didn't even remember Spacey was in that one; he just doesn't leave a particularly strong impression on me. If you like his work, great, good for you, but different people have different tastes.
You know, for what it's worth, I actually think you (personally) would really like K-Pax.

I'd say that if you didn't it means you were born without a heart, but I strongly suspect you'd take that as a serious expression of my feelings.

Well, it's certainly not a factor in my dissatisfaction with the film, and I resent the assumption that everyone who dislikes a film must do so for only a single universal reason.
I'm not making an assumption about every single person who disliked the film. Like I said, I was being glib, but in doing so attacking what I saw as the general attitude, rather than an individual's opinion.

If one isn't permitted to make generalizations about people, one would be arguing till doomsday over a billion different interpretations of any given work.

Shazam! wrote:
You can be 'visually interesting' without relying on what 14 year old kids think might be 'cool'.
No, really?

Maybe if I said "it displays in the most visceral manner possible Superman's invulnerability," it would sound smarter, right?

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote