Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old December 12 2010, 06:36 PM   #46
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
I don't think the Reapers will be in any hurry to spread beyond Earth in a hurry, remember that it took them centuries to methodically wipe out the Protheans...of course back then they had control of the Citadel and the relay networks and could afford to pick the systems off one at a time...
We don't yet know how the Reapers got back into the galaxy, so it's impossible to say what their effect on the relay network will be. I read an interesting idea that if the Reapers did manage to deactivate the relay network so only they could use it then the Normandy would be the only ship capable of traversing the galaxy as it has the Reaper IFF. That seems like a cool idea, and it would give you a reason for travelling around the galaxy looking for help as everyone would be isolated and nobody would know what's going on. Otherwise, one would imagine that the council races would be forced by law to help Earth in its hour of need and you wouldn't need to go around the place convincing people.

Anyway, a Bioware rep on the ME forums confirmed that there will be more ME2 DLC released to bridge the gap between the games, so there's a small chance we may get some answers about how the Reapers entered the galaxy in those.
What we do know from the first game is that Nazara apparantly had no choice but to make a direct run on the Citadel AND have Saren flip the switch on the tower in order to take control of the network and open the relay to dark space. So however they've made it back, unless they've taken the Citadel already then the relays should still be open.

If it could be done another way then surely Nazara would have done it that way in the first instance. It certainly had plenty of time since there's evidence to suggest either it or Harbinger have been actively messing with events this time around since at least the Rachni War.

Even leaving all that aside; the idea of playing the games as the only ship that can jump around (thanks to the IFF) is an interesting one...but there's not a lot of point recruiting help in the form of a massive multi-species fleet if they're all scattered across the galaxy and can't use the relays.

bullethead wrote: View Post
A JaxMas Carol wrote: View Post
^
I get a SG-Vibe "find the ancient device to beat the bad guys".
The entire Reaper plot is pretty Stargate-ish, so this fits.
Stargate-ish, Babylon 5-ish, H.P. Lovecraft-ish, Arthur C. Clark-ish...take your pick.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote