View Single Post
Old December 12 2010, 12:28 AM   #114
Christopher
Writer

Re: Typhon Pact: Seize The Fire review thread

kaysea wrote: View Post
I understand having to cover the consequences but really is it necessary to have 4(?) typhon pact books to just cover the consequences of the destiny novels?, which seize the fire did not even remotely cover. One book could have fulfilled that criteria.
Okay, let me say this again: The existence of the Typhon Pact is not an isolated event. It is the new permanent status quo of the books. The Pact is going to be an ongoing factor in all the series set in or near Federation space -- not in every single book, but on a continuing basis, like the role that the Klingons or Romulans or Cardassians have played in the past. It's not a one-book kind of thing.

Perhaps I was just hoping for more. The Destiny novels plot was great in comparison to the hundreds of other star trek novels out there and it appears that the sequels (or at least the current ones) will just be another set of books amidst the hundreds of other Trek books.
But if every book were like Destiny, then wouldn't Destiny "just be another set of books"?

Besides, don't assume that the entire tetralogy will be like Seize the Fire. As a Titan novel, it stands to reason that it's telling an episodic story that's detached from the main thrust of things in the vicinity of the Federation. It would be unwise to expect the same from the upcoming books that deal with DS9 and TNG characters dealing with neighbors such as the Romulans, Tzenkethi, and Tholians.

I will bluntly say the reason for this is cause these trek authors are merely in it for the money than for the love of Star trek or the love of creating a great sci-fi novel.
That's bull. Of course we do this for pay because we need to feed ourselves and have places to live. But if we didn't love Star Trek, we'd probably be doing much more lucrative jobs than this. The money just isn't enough to be a great incentive for this by itself. Writing Trek fiction is very much a labor of love for me and for every other Trek novelist I know.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote