View Single Post
Old December 9 2010, 10:07 AM   #128
SRFX
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

FUTURE'S END, PART I - 3x08 - 4/5

Now, I am quoting ConfusedMatthew here but I can't help but feel it really should be illegal for a character in a time machine to utter the phrase "NO TIME".

But with that blunder of a line out of the way, this episode is a HUGE amount of fun and remains a personal favourite of mine. Although, that could be because the plot is so reminiscent of an episode of the X-Files or the N64 classic, Perfect Dark.

I have said before that I can forgive oversights in an Trek episode's plot if it serves to make a entertaining story. In this case, Future's End completely ignores the Eugenics Wars which are established in every other Trek series as occurring in the late 20th/early 21st centuries. I am happy to hand-wave this just assume that North America wasn't affected directly by the wars. I mean, World War II is the largest global conflicts this world has ever seen and yet the mainland United States was barely touched by this war so I don't think it's a stretch to assume in the episode that the Eugenics ARE raging in other parts of the world.

This episode has a great atmosphere and doesn't take itself too seriously most of the time. Paris' inability to accurately remember 20th century history is amusing and Tuvok's deadpan reaction to everything is a great counter to that. The cliffhanger ends on a very exciting note and sets things up for an enjoyable resolution (if I recall correctly). The computer stuff is all pretty goofy though, apparently in the 24th century people just cut + paste not copy + paste. And exclusively use keyboards to navigate graphical user interfaces.

All up though, a really fun way to spice things up and get the Voyager crew doing something other than wafting aimlessly through space.
Malcolm Reed & Charles Tucker III
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote