View Single Post
Old December 9 2010, 04:53 AM   #127
SRFX
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

SACRED GROUND - 3x07 - 1/5

First of all, checking in the Doctor. I don't know what to think of the Doctor now, it's been too many episodes since his regression so he may have developed significantly since The Swarm, especially given that it was only some of his memories that had disappeared but the personality he has developed remains. There's nothing in this episode that goes either way to suggest
where he's at.

As for this episode, it's a pile of rubbish. A bunch of mystical mumbo jumbo that can't decide what the hell the message is about. I find it interesting that for a show where every situation is explained through technobabble has an episode that is suggesting that technobabble is irrelevant.

And the wrap up to this episode completely destroys any believable change in Janeway's character that could warrant her embracing faith over provable/tangible concepts. Having the Doctor explaining the solution kind of ruins the whole point of keeping faith. It makes Janeway's epiphany seem to come about because she was just bored with hearing the Doctor's explanation, rather than a genuine non-explanation. It would have been much more powerful to have the solution be completely unexplainable, or at LEAST have an unexplainable element to it that makes Janeway question her attitudes towards faith and that there are some things in the universe that cannot be explained through scientific methods.

Plus this episode pretty boring too: 1 star.
Malcolm Reed & Charles Tucker III
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote