View Single Post
Old December 9 2010, 04:19 AM   #639
SicOne
Commodore

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
...Complaining and critiquing are much more fun and stimulating.

Government bureaucracy is slow and inflexible. An armored cavalry troop is not. When cut loose from restraints...all the by the book crap goes away and you get down to the lean and mean business of killing people and protecting your own. A single canister round from one of our tanks could wipe out that 10,000 zombie wave and each tank can hold several dozen of those rounds. A single radio message on our tactical net tells us that only head shots work.

And I would point out that we actually do have historical records of human wave attacks of upwards of tens of thousands of fire-arm equipped, fast moving, intelligent human soldiers, aided by indirect fires support and close air support. AND THEY GOT DESTROYED by 1940s technology. We have numerous advances in weaponry today that would make human wave attacks even less effective(claymores, integral optics, assault rifles).

But then we get the counterarguments. Zombies don't stop coming until you put a bullet in their brain. Shock and Awe won't stop them. And you'll run out of bullets and your logistical situation will be screwed before the zombies run out of bodies(as if some zombie general is in the back urging his soldiers, "C'mon men, they're low on ammo, one more push!")

1) Headshots...

3) Number of bullets...Aside from vast stockpiles, reloading brass is not that difficult. I have several neighbors who make their own ammunition. It might not be a common skill set today, but it sure would be about a day after a zombie outbreak.

4) Logistics. Always a problem. But the Army's 16-ton up-armored HEMT truck which I have driven across rivers, three feet of mud(I think an ocean of zombie blood would be less taxing on the truck personally) is the standard deliverer of bullets, beans and fuel. We have more than 13,000 of these trucks, and each could run over a hundred thousand zombies on the way to deliver its cargo and be perfectly fine.

All I would like is some throw-away line about why our disorganized, in-fighting, leaderless, ill-equipped heroes have survived where an organization ideally suited to surviving has not.

It could be something as simple as, "The anthrax vaccine all our soldiers are injected with made them susceptible to an air-born strain of zombie-ism that turned 95% of them into walkers in the first day."

A line like that from the CDC doctor could easily have been tossed out there and explain everything with no need to every mention it again.
"When cut loose from restraints"...at what point does that happen? When your commanders tell you? When you decide that individually, for yourself or for your squad/platoon/troop? When the powers-that-be tell you that restraint is no longer necessary? And bear in mind that unless someone tells the Cav that what they're up against are zombies a la Romero, for all you know you're up against some very, very sick people. Americans, at that. And I can imagine the conversations that would take place at every level in the chain of command, the "WTF?" questions, the wanting to verify and re-verify before you start popping cannister rounds into hordes of American civilians. At every level in the chain of command, someone's going to want some detailed explanations before relaying those orders to fire upon the next echelon. And I know I'm not the first poster to say this, but there will be some percentage of soldiers who will not fire, who will believe that these are just very sick people, that there's gotta be another way, this is America for Christ's sake, we can't, we CANNOT blithely fire upon civs! An additional percentage may fire upon men, but not old people, women, children. Several million people inhabit the greater Atlanta metropolitan area. Even if you took every shooter in every Armored Cav unit, they'd still be way outnumbered.

No, a single cannister round would not take out 10,000 zombies. As we've seen, it requires a headshot. Cannister is not that accurate. Good at digging trenches in large groups of people, bad for fighting Zs who will just fill those trenches right back in with force of numbers. All cannister might be good for is to buy you some time to retreat. Hey, we got so-and-so on tacnet that says only headshots work. We'll get to that in a minute...

Regarding human wave attacks that were destroyed with 1940s technology; those were against regular old-fashioned non-zombied-out human beings who would succumb to blast overpressure and fragmentation wounds and the like. Zs don't have the same weaknesses, unless they catch a frag in the head (and from what we saw in the last episode, only the brain STEM appears to be re-energized by the Z virus...more on that with headshots, in a few). And look at all of the sheer firepower that could have been brought to bear during WW2, with thousands of aircraft, artillery pieces, tanks; the modern U.S. military stresses quality over quantity (though quantity has a quality all its own, as the old axiom goes), so you might have only a single MLRS battery to call upon (love the Steel Rain, but unless it's a headshot to the brain stem, the pieces attached will still come atyou) instead of massed artillery. Which may or may not even be in range, or available at all. Remember, if the "Walking Dead" takes place concurrently with history as we know it, a significant percentage of the shootin' military is currently deployed overseas and not available to defend our cities against the hordes of zombies.

Gotta go, I'll be back to discuss headshots and the rest momentarily.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote