Thread: Power Rangers
View Single Post
Old December 8 2010, 02:06 AM   #86
Christopher
Writer

Re: Power Rangers

Masked Rider wasn't that bad, at least by the low standards set by Power Rangers at the time. (And yes, I'm aware now that it mangled its source material even more radically than PR did, but I had no knowledge of that at the time. All I knew was that, while I didn't enjoy it as much as PR, I enjoyed it more than the other PR knockoffs that came along around that time, from Saban or otherwise.) In particular, I loved the fact that it had real orchestral music rather than a rock score like MMPR or the faux-orchestral synth scores of later PR seasons (or most modern TV shows, for that matter). I remember that "A Friend in Need" also had a largely orchestral score, probably tracked from the upcoming MR series, and it was surprising to hear orchestral music underscoring scenes of the Power Rangers in action.

And I have to admit, I didn't entirely hate Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation. I just think it was a mistake to cross it over with Power Rangers, especially given how awkwardly they did it. It was the kind of kids'-show crossover where both casts are somehow already fully aware of each other's existence, as if they watched each other's shows. Which annoyed me no end, since it made no sense in-universe that the Rangers would've already known about the Turtles' existence in the first place, let alone have known all their names and reacted to meeting them as though they were celebrities.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote