View Single Post
Old December 7 2010, 08:42 PM   #59
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Anyone else think they should have left the Borg well enough alone

Anwar wrote: View Post
And we would have obtained this device from where, exactly?
This is Star Trek, they build crazy sh*t all the time.
Indeed. It is not, and has never been, one of Star Trek's strong suits.

It's like in the video game "Starcraft". The protagonists found out the Zerg aliens were attracted by human psychic emanations and the bad guys had built a device to "call out" to them using these emanations. They stole the plans, built some emitters, planted them on space platforms above the Bad Guy Homeworld and the Zerg came in billions to wipe out the planet.
They did the same thing in Star Control II. The only difference is the telepathic critters they used for the trick were specifically trained to do exactly that. They didn't just make some shit up at the last minute and pray it would work.

And that didn't make sense, if these things could trash Borg Cubes in one shot and even overtake Borg Cubes than VOY shouldn't last a nanosecond. Better to use trickery and their own psychic sensitivity against them to lure them to the Borg rather than risk themselves.
Let me get this straight: you think "made up technobabble and convenient psychic trick that inexplicably works exactly the way it's supposed to work" is better than "Take a huge personal risk and in the face of desperate odds."

Are you SURE you weren't on Voyager's writing staff?

This is the double standard at work again. It was okay for the ENT-D to hide in a nebula (which didn't work since the Borg blew them out anyways) or a Sun's Corona (which also didn't work since the Borg knew where they were and were just waiting for them to fry) but VOY did the same thing the audience would just say...
You keep using this "the audience would hate it because it's Voyager" thing as if it's actually based on anything. I repeat again: the audience hated Voyager because it was BADLY WRITTEN. It's not enough to have a good outline if the story is executed in such a way that has the audience rolling their eyes saying "Feh... yeah, right." Even TNG had several of these moments; the technobabble solar flare was one of them, though the metaphasic shield--which had been the subject of an entire episode--was not.

I don't know if it's laziness or just a bad habit, but one of the most basic rules for screenplay or stage play is "establishment." Every device and every locale must be established before it can be used. Most of the time, you can count on historical context and/or scenery to do that for you; if your protagonist is a cardiologist, you don't really need to explain to the audience that he knows how to perform open-heart surgery. If, on the other hand, you have a scene where the cardiologist throws together some medical equipment to provide his patient with a new artificial heart, you need to somehow establish his ability--or at least, potential--to do this, as the ad-hoc construction of artificial organs is not something cardiologists are known to do.

Nothing in Trek history has established any general trend or common practice of using mechanical amplifiers for telepathy. The Ocampa might, but the only plausible way of establishing that would be to either display that ability in an earlier episode or (annoying, but acceptable) have them playing around with such a device in the beginning of the episode but not being able to think of a good use for it. The way you're describing it, it sounds like another one of those B'elanna Torres conference room hobbyist moments a la "I could modify a tricorder diode array to emit a resonant tetryon pulse that would amplify your telepathy." That's usually the point where I change the channel.

Finding an ancient device on some planet is a Trek staple, and studying the 8472 and finding out they can be lured out of Fluidic Space and into certain areas through signals doesn't seem too outlandish to me.
To me it sounds like Instant Cognition, another common Voyager trope.

But on Fed ships (and damn every ship) in Trek the sensors are always on par with the engine capacity and weapon capacity.
I'm not sure in what sense "on par" means anything, considering engines, weapons and sensors all do COMPLETELY different things that are not at all comparable. It's true that Romulan sensors are MOSTLY on par with Federation sensors, but it's loosely implied that Klingon sensors are not, though their weapons are freaklishly powerful. Cardassian sensors are supposed to be pretty good, but their engines and weapons are weak. We know next to nothing about Ferengi sensors, but their engines are freakishly powerful and their weapons are a laughable.

It would make the Borg seem kind of retarded that such a powerful species would let themselves go around borderline myopic.
Why not? Sensors are used for gathering information from a distance. The Borg never do ANYTHING from a distance, they walk right up to you and start taking samples. Considering their ability to quickly dismantle almost any known defensive system, their only sensor capability might be detection and ranging, with SOP to close with a target, grab it with a tractor beam, board it, analyze the data, and if it looks interesting, chop it up for further analysis.

Agreed, but that's not what the writers did.
Good for them. I don't care to repeat their mistakes.

If guys I was at war with just randomly appeared in my backyard when they're supposed to be tens of thousands of miles away...
Do the Borg have a concept of "war"? Last time I checked, they do not. If they do, they sure as hell shouldn't.

If they did a bunch of stories where they saw the 8472 wiping the floor with other aliens, destroying some planets, and then getting some samples to study BEFORE they ran into the Borg and realized they could use them to get the Borg out of the way, would THAT be a proper "climax"?
Come to think of it, it just might.

All the writers did was remember what everyone else forgot: Q said the Borg were just ONE dangerous species out there. They decided that, "Hey, if they're just ONE danger why not just show that there's another danger at least as dangerous as them and then have them cancel each other out?" It's sensible, it won't devour the budget (too much) and it won't take over the show. BOBW wiped out the Borg invasion in a two-parter, so VOY did a two-parter that got them past the Borg in a believable manner as well.
I'll grant that it got them past the Borg. The issue here--as with many things on Voyager--is whether or not it was believable.

It's better than having the crew be cowards who run from everything
The colonials in Battlestar Galactica (both versions of it) spent almost the entire series running from the cylons and nobody ever accused them of being cowards. Hell, all four of the Terminator movies basically derive from the basic premise "Protagonist being chased by unstoppable killer robot(s)." It turns out that even in the future, the most viable tactic for dealing with Terminators is to set a trap, open fire, then run like hell.

Cowardice is a state of mind, not a state of action.