View Single Post
Old December 5 2010, 07:33 AM   #829
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

What did you think of ROBIN HOOD? I haven't seen it yet, due to the mixed reviews.

273. Winnebago Man [A]
274. Chicano Love is Forever [F]

WINNEBAGO MAN: In a word (okay, two): positively brilliant. This is a documentary about Jack Rebney, the Winnebago Man, who is a VHS tape turned Youtube phenomenon. I don't think I've laughed harder at a film this year, be it fiction or nonfiction. Debney has such a way with (four letter) words, and yet, at times, the film was very serious and moving. If you see a documentary film this year, make it this one.

CHICANO LOVE IS FOREVER: The first independent Chicano feature, this is a production disaster from beginning to end. I can understand the circumstances the filmmakers faced, but it really is no excuse for the technically atrocious camera work, awful lighting, and abysmal editing (there must be ten musical montages to a few very similar songs). It didn't help, to be sure, that half the film was in Spanish (and without subtitles), a language I only partially speak, but I imagine the dialogue was on par with the English portions of the film (read: terrible). A historically notable film, but, alas, not a watchable one.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote