View Single Post
Old November 30 2010, 10:23 PM   #11
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Re: a la carte programming - TV

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Sakrysta wrote: View Post
when I cancelled my subscription to cable, my TV watching became much more deliberate.
I agree. It's been 3 1/2 years since I have not had cable TV. Our lives and schedules are pretty busy anyway and watching things on Netflix allows me to watch when I want to. I wish I didn't have to wait 1 year for a series to come out on physical DVD though and soon it will be download/streaming for me.
Agreed. I've gone without cable for nearly a year now and I really don't miss it. I've fully-embraced new media as a platform for watching television. Between Hulu, Netflix and DVDs I am able to watch what I need. Sometimes I'm able to watch my shows the day after air (if available on Hulu) and sometimes I have to wait for the DVD. Sure, it's an inconvenience, but I have enough to keep me occupied. Watching anything "live" during broadcast just doesn't interest me anymore. I like the flexibility that new media technology allows.

As a consumer, I would see the appeal of a la carte programming, but as a network or cable service provider, it makes bad business sense. Cable networks rely heavily on subscription fees as a revenue stream (along with commercial advertising). If consumers are able to pick and choose what cable networks they pay for, networks will lose a ton of money.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote