View Single Post
Old November 24 2010, 04:23 PM   #62
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: Would it really matter if the next Trek series were on linear TV?

An interesting article on video syndication via the Internet:

an emerging and significant trend: the early formation of what I would term the "syndicated video economy." By this I mean to suggest that I'm seeing more and more industry participants' strategies - in both media and technology - start from the proposition that the broadband video industry will only succeed if video assets are widely dispersed and revenue creatively apportioned.

For content providers the notion of widespread video syndication big change in their business approach. In the past year I think we've observed content providers of all stripes transition from "aggregating eyeballs", to "accessing eyeballs," wherever they may live now or in the future: portals, social networks, portable devices, game consoles, etc. Underlying this shift is the realization that advertising-based revenues are going to fuel the broadband video industry for the foreseeable future. The ad model requires scale and syndication is the best way to deliver it.
This shift by content providers has been accompanied by a loosening of traditional tightly-controlled, scarcity-driven distribution strategies, an acknowledgement that fighting newly-empowered consumers is a futile exercise.
Disney's Stage 9 digital studio, which premiered with YouTube and explicitly plans to tap into broadband video hubs.
Welcome to the "Syndicated Video Economy"
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote