View Single Post
Old November 23 2010, 11:39 PM   #166
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Stallone gave an interview recently...or maybe it was a few months ago where he talked about "Judge Dredd" and stated some of the things he regretted from the movie. It was pretty interesting and he seemed like he understood the criticisms the fans had from it.
Indeed, Stallone on Dredd, from Digitalspy;

"I thought that could have been a fantastic, nihilistic, interesting vision of the future - judge, jury and executioner. That [film] really bothered me a great deal"
And Stallone from the Wiki article on the film;

"I do look back on Judge Dredd as a real missed opportunity. It seemed that lots of fans had a problem with Dredd removing his helmet, because he never does in the comic books. But for me it is more about wasting such great potential there was in that idea; just think of all the opportunities there were to do interesting stuff with the Cursed Earth scenes. It didn't live up to what it could have been. It probably should have been much more comic, really humorous, and fun"
Another point of view on filming Dredd;

In a way, the best big screen incarnation of Dredd so far has been 1987ís RoboCop. Paul Verhoeven took a lot of elements of the Dredd character, as well as his Mega City environment, and brought it to the screen in hard R-rated fashion. The satire, the violence, and ruthlessness of the lead character delivered a film that was more like Dredd than Danny Cannonís lacklustre effort.
An article in either the Megazine or 2000AD said similar. That Robocop was so similar to the Megacity universe put some people off the idea of a Dredd film, IIRC in case it was seen as a rip off, or just paled in comparison.

As for the new picture, Urban looks pretty good as Dredd, I assume they'll shrink the helmet given that his chin isn't as awesome as either Dredd's or Stallone's