View Single Post
Old November 23 2010, 12:54 PM   #108
SRFX
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

DEADLOCK - 2x21 - 2/5

This is another episode that starts off with a bang but before the first act is up, peters out into nothing remarkable.

First off, Neelix is an asshole for making a pregnant SCIENCE OFFICER do engineering work. I mean, I am not saying she shouldn't do her job the best she can, but first of all, it's not HER job to fix kitchen appliances and second of all there are numerous ENGINEERING OFFICERS IN THE MESS HALL RIGHT NOW. It's an oversight that makes Neelix look a total dick.

Then shit starts to go wrong and it's all very exciting. I would love if this happened more often. Unfortunately it all turns out to be alternate reality bullshit. But before that jig is up, HARRY KIM DIES. This is going on the scoreboards, BIG TIME.

Unfortunately all the drama and intensity of the first few scenes of this episode makes way for seemingly endless technobabble and painfully horrible analogies. And then everything gets wrapped up all very neatly in a resolution that with Voyager get a free do-over on Kim and Naomi whilst ignoring the pseudo-science established earlier (the potential imbalancing of the atomic weights of the two Voyagers) by destroying the now even more screwed Voyager.

I do however like Janeway's closing statement: "We're Starfleet officers. Weird is part of the job."

Harry Kim Horror Count: 5
Malcolm Reed & Charles Tucker III
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote