View Single Post
Old November 23 2010, 09:42 AM   #117
chrisspringob
Commodore

Re: The Big Bang Theory

Nick The Munificent wrote: View Post
You guys who have seen the show and understand things, was there a change of some sort in the third season? Like, in writing perhaps or in direction? I watched the third season for the first time recently and I didn't find it anywhere near as funny as the first two .. is it just me, or did something change?
I still enjoy the show and look forward to watching it every week, but the humor has clearly gotten more mainstream over time. It's still funny, but it's not as smart as it used to be.

In Season 1, they actually had some pretty smart science jokes about things like string theory and teleportation and the like. While it wasn't the sole focus of the show, there was some satire of physics academia. Gradually (mostly starting from about mid-Season 2), that seems to have faded, and the guys' geekiness seems a bit more like a prop than a fundamental part of their identity.

I mean, watch this clip from Season 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJFvYuxyF3A

and try to imagine that taking place in Season 4. Stuff like that just isn't that common anymore. Like I said, I still enjoy the show, but I don't think it's as brilliant as it used to be.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote