View Single Post
Old November 23 2010, 05:17 AM   #45
Christopher
Writer

Re: Buffy TVS to be (ugh) Rebooted

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Right, I recall the credits, but I've never read anything specific that talked about them having the TV rights; the mentions of rights and the Kuzuis that I've seen over the past several years have always related specifically to movies. I suppose I could have inferred from that far more than I should have (and I can admit to wishful thinking too). But it's always seemed to me that what I've read says Joss himself has the tv rights, and the Kuzuis were credited because of the Buffy character herself being carried over.
Well, I think we're talking about two different things here. It's not about having the TV rights so much as about having the rights to things from the TV show. After all, the existing TV series couldn't have been done without the Kuzuis' nominal participation, so if they didn't have the TV rights, BTVS the series wouldn't have existed at all.

The Kuzuis don't have the rights to the characters and concepts that are specific to the BTVS television series, but I don't think that would preclude them (theoretically) from doing a TV series that was derived exclusively from the characters and concepts in the '92 movie. I.e. they couldn't do a TV series about Buffy and Willow and Xander and Giles in Sunnydale, but if they wanted to, they could do a TV series about Buffy and Pike and Merrick in Los Angeles. Or a TV series about, say, a 30-year-old Buffy relocating to New Orleans and teaming up with a Vodoun priestess and a handsome doctor. As long as it comes solely from the movie, I don't think there are any restrictions on whether it is a movie, a TV show, or whatever.

But that's a moot argument, because the project they're doing is a movie. However, if by some miracle the movie did well, they could probably do a TV series based on it.

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Christopher; November 23 2010 at 05:35 AM.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote