View Single Post
Old November 23 2010, 02:54 AM   #32
Christopher
Writer

Re: Buffy TVS to be (ugh) Rebooted

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
The one thing that I think we can be thankful for here is that I believe the Kuzuis only own the rights to the Buffy character in relation to movies. So they can produce as many crappy movies as they want using the character (though without Joss, there's no way it would "really" be Buffy), but at least they can't screw up a new television series too.
The Kuzuis were credited as executive producers on the TV series as well (both Buffy and Angel), so I think that means they do have the TV rights.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I wonder how "Twilight" they could go without stepping on what Whedon did in the series. Would they have to keep it pretty distinct to avoid being on the way to a lawsuit?
As long as they don't use the actual character names or exact plot beats, it's not plagiarism to tell the same general type of story. I mean, it's not as if Twilight was the first story about vampiric romance, or even the only one currently in production.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote