View Single Post
Old November 21 2010, 10:11 PM   #183
trekkiedane's Avatar
Location: I'll let you know when I get there.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

Vanyel wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I bought one of those things (don't know the anglo name for them: please help me with that!) that you install above where you do your cooking; they, then, suck up all the vapours! cost me 999 Kr (~183 US$).
In Australia they are called a rangehood. I am not sure what they are called in the rest of the English speaking world.
Vent, though range hood is used too.
Thanks - I don't think I've ever heard that before (well, I know what a vent is just not that the word would also include a motorised sucking device with built in lights).

ETA: looked up "kitchen" on Wikipedia and found a link to an article on the thing:

The device is known as an extractor hood (in the UK) and as range hood (in the United States) or rangehood (in Australia). It is also called a kitchen, stove, exhaust, cooker, vent or ventilation hood. Other names include cooking canopy, extractor fan, fume extractor, and electric chimney.

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.

Last edited by trekkiedane; November 21 2010 at 10:23 PM.
trekkiedane is offline   Reply With Quote