View Single Post
Old November 20 2010, 10:11 AM   #58
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Would it really matter if the next Trek series were on linear TV?

AviTrek wrote: View Post
CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
I think we're many years away from a new Trek TV series, for many of the reasons cited here. Most importantly, the current thinking at Paramount is that Trek has once again become a successful, profitable film franchise and there's very little upside to cannibalizing it with a new TV series. They saw the diminishing returns of too much Trek in the marketplace in the Berman days, with multiple TV series and the films running concurrently. I imagine the focus will be on the next few films before we see anything else.
Except Paramount has NOTHING to do with a Trek TV series. As people have said multiple times in these threads, CBS owns the TV rights to Trek NOT Paramount. If CBS wanted to make a TV series, they could do it tomorrow and Paramount would have no way to stop them. The reason we won't see TV Trek is because it doesn't fit into CBS's TV strategy.
I think it's a mistake to assume that just because a corporate split was ordered, CBS Paramount and Paramount Pictures don't have a close relationship. The trailer for STAR TREK (2009) in front of all three seasons of STAR TREK on BLU-RAY would certainly suggest otherwise.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote