Superman: Casting Call!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I saw this guy suggested on another site. He's actually a soldier who basically played himself in Generation Kill. He has the look for the role (forget the tattoos) but I don't know if he has the acting chops. Then again, the makers of The Wire cast him, he must have something going for him.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2674478/resumephotos

2. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Nope. Can't say I like this one either.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's that supposed to mean? Tom Cruise, Denzel Washington, Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tom Welling! :p

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I think with Superman its about the eyes. The actor has to have "kind" eyes. Rudy Reyes has killers eyes.

5. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:

That sounds like fun.

7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I always thought Michael O'Hearn was a surprisingly good Clark Kent/Superman. O'Hearn played Superman in Sandy Collora's fanfilm World's Finest. However, there was something in his eyes and in his performance as Superman that really stood out to me- I can't quite explain it, but it really grabbed me.

[​IMG]

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

It was. the guy that played Lex was hilarious. Stole the show.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the key to casting Superman is casting Clark Kent as the poster suggests, then all the Routh haters should get their arses out of their heads because Brandon Routh personified Clark Kent to a tee.

Also Tom Welling is well known to whom? Smallville fans? Superman fans? Cheaper by the Dozen fans? I bring this up only because I seriously doubt that Welling is well known as Christopher claims he is. Most of my friends don't know who he is but know that I watch Smallville.

By the way I think Joe or Armie Hammer would be a good choice for Superman but for some reason I think they're gonna go for a total unknown and none of those on that list will be Superman.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'll go for weird and cast Eric Balfour. :p

11. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

:barf: Oh, that is evil, my friend...eeeevil.

Same here. Bring back Routh or get a total unknown. none of the names thrown out so far interest me.

12. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Out of everyone who's been mentioned so far, I still think that Armie Hammer would be the best choice given the age range. Here's a photoshop of him as Supes I made a little while ago:

[​IMG]

13. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

I don't care who it is, unknown or well known, so long as he is OLDER. We don't need another origin story and we don't need another thin, Chris Reeve/Brandon Routh style Superman.

We need a Superman that looks like Alex Ross painted him.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Gotta start with a young actor to keep him in a good age range as sequels are made.

15. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

This one's easy:

Michael Trucco (BSG) as Superman and Stana Katic (Castle) as Lois.

They've already worked together in the final arc of Castle's second season and showed great chemistry.

16. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Out of the studio's age range.

And Michael... meh. I don't really see him as Supes. Maybe Supes' motorcycle riding, Budweiser drinking older brother, but, nah...

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Chess Piece Face you just contradicted yourself in your post. A Superman who looks like Alex Ross painted him? Christopher Reeve. Ross has always based his Superman on Reeve. Why do we need a bulked up Superman for?

18. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good. He'd actually look like a SuperMAN then.

I'd be happy with his casting.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, there's a practical problem with casting some huge muscleman as Superman. You need to be able to hang the actor from wires for at least some of the flying stuff, and for that, lighter is better.

20. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Ross based his Supes on CR? I find that hard to believe. He doesn't look anything like him and I read that Alex Ross uses the same models for each character each time. Like, he has a guy for Batman, a guy for Superman, etc.

The pics of supes on this page sure don't look like any pic of Christopher Reeve I've ever seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ross

OK - 2 seconds of googling and I found the page with the name of the model for Alex Ross's Supes, Frank Casey. You decide for yourself (I think it's quite obviously not based on CR)

http://www.mikehillart.com/superman.htm

Why do we need a bulked up Superman? Why do we need a twink? It's just my preference, my opinion. I think each generation deserves their own version of these icons and to give us yet another Reeves/Routh-esque person, even superficially based on looks, is a mistake.

A mistake they recently made in Superman Returns which I hope they don't repeat. We need something all new.

You don't have to start young because you are shooting for 2 sequels. So what if supes is 35, 42 and 45? Big deal! And of course wires can hold a beefed up type, that's just a silly point.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010