View Single Post
Old November 17 2010, 04:17 PM   #114
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: ST: Shaping a Cardassian - The Shadow of the Order

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Poor Sarratt. I wonder how it is he's managed to keep something even somewhat resembling sanity during all this time. The fact that he's helping the team at all, even in whatever fractured state of mind he's in, says that he has. But this man in engineering--something tells me he's angry, and wants revenge. And if that's how he's been "fueling" himself, I doubt even Sarratt could "talk" him out of it, especially since--understandably--Sarratt seems to have very little will left to do anything but die. Yet somehow I do think Sarratt MIGHT be trying to reason with the man in engineering, hence the trance. (Assuming that those two men are able to communicate with each other in any way more meaningful than the few words Sarratt has put onscreen for them.)
I'm not saying anything, but they will find a few answers to their questions.

Oh...and Medic Taret's words in our story together--asking AU Dukat if the implant he had had been forced on him--are sadly ironic now. It's a horrible contrast...a benign technology that helps a man to live a better life and that AU Dukat could really be at peace with, versus this perversion that no person could or ever should have to bear.
I didn't think about it before.

As for Asu Ronus...I wonder if his state of mind is unique, as a Trill. I don't know if in your universe the symbiont also has a personality and thoughts, but I bet Ronus feels awful for this man.
I think that a symbiont also has its own personality and isn't just a blend of its hosts. After all, the symbionts are supposed to be sentient and intelligent beings, so they have to be more than just a mix of others' experiences.

Ronus is 267 years old, but first 100 years it spent in the pools and wasn't joined. It spent all that time thinking and "talking" to other symbionts. It has a mind of its own, its own personality and opinions. They join and blend with hosts now, but Asu Ronus isn't just a combination of previous--and current--hosts; this person's personality and experiences include the symbiont's personality too.