View Single Post
Old November 17 2010, 11:07 AM   #304
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
That may possibly be technically true, but people aren't tuning in to Walking Dead for Sci Fi, and it's not going to open the door for Sci Fi; it will open the door for more Horror.
It's both sci fi and horror, and might help out both genres. I don't think AMC's audience are tuning in for sci fi or for horror - they're tuning in for a well-made series. AMC isn't big on genre shows so why would their audience expect it?
This obviously goes well beyond AMC's regular audience, and I don't think any of them think of this as sci fi (beyond the fact that most of the common people don't know the difference between sci fi and horror). People are tuning in for the Zombie Apocalypse.

I've never seen Bones but I can't think of anything on TV that qualifies as "real" sci fi and I never expect to. Caprica was the closest attempt - at least it was a story centered around sci fi ideas, instead of being some other genre, such as a cop show or action show, with some sci fi window dressing.
Bones uses futuristic technology and scientific research to solve crimes. For a show that is real SF in the sense that the story is about the effect of extrapolated science on people or society, you'll only see random examples of that in some old anthology shows.

Snaploud wrote: View Post
I'm sure it will open the door for more post-apocalyptic fiction (which is basically the larger genre trend of which zombies is benefiting from right now), and that's sci-fi...
Post-Apocalyptic fiction is sci fi like Godzilla is sci fi. But you're probably right about seeing more of it; post-Apocalyptic shows would definitely fit in with the current Zeitgeist.