View Single Post
Old November 15 2010, 07:43 AM   #98
SRFX
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

THRESHOLD - 2x15 - 0/5

Threshold or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Salamander

Great, just got into some negativity there at the end of Alliances. Threshold is not going to improve things. I was original thinking when going into this episode, that there's nothing to be said about this train wreck that hasn't been said already.

But I just can't help myself. So I'll just paraphrase the notes I made whilst watching this travesty to Trek.

- Personally, I like the concept of this episode. However it's the fact that they take an interesting scientific concept of infinite velocity and turn it into a bizarre Parisian mutation and then finally a salamander mating fest that just adds insult to the injury that this episode is.

- Neelix once again proves that he should just not talk whenever he's on chef duties.

- How the fuck does the holodeck simulate something that has been a scientifically impossible up until this point? I am all for them simulating what they can up until the point they reach transwarp. But at the stage I would expect the programme to generate an error or just end abruptly. As such, I wouldn't put too much stock in the holodeck's ability to simulate this endeavour like the crew seem to be.

- The crew reacting with incredulity when the shuttle reaches INFINITE VELOCITY still makes me laugh. I mean, they KNEW what was going to happen. So why are they so surprised when Paris disappears from range? THIS WAS TO BE EXPECTED GUYS.

- What gets me is that this episode aside from all the stupid moments, could've been something good (or at the very least passable), if either the plot lines became the focus of the episode. The transwarp breakthrough should've been an episode (perhaps something along the lines of ENT's "First Flight") and Tom Paris's degeneration into a mutant fish monster could've been scary and cool on it's own in a different story (something reminiscent of TNG's "Genesis"). The combination though is just baffling.

- Evolution is a reactionary process to environmental conditions causing a species to change through adaptation. IT IS NOT PRE-DETERMINED!

- No matter how many times I watch this, I can't get over the salamanders. It's just…….wow.

- I am giving this 0/5 because it's worse than bad. Bad would be a score of 1. Threshold takes interesting ideas, ruins them and turns Paris into a fish monster. Not to mention all of the loose ends regarding the gigaquads of information they found and the transwarp info Jonas gave to the Kazon. Although knowing the Kazon, they would be too stupid to figure it out.
Malcolm Reed & Charles Tucker III
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote