View Single Post
Old November 15 2010, 03:39 AM   #106
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: ST: Shaping a Cardassian - The Shadow of the Order

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
(BTW, it's funny that you came to the idea of a 10-year term...that was actually a number I had settled on for certain posts in the the SigCat government...)
At first I thought about something longer, but decided against it. The term is 10 years, but they can be "re-elected" for 3 terms in a row and fourth (if necessary) with a break.
No more. And no lifetime positions. They are called "legates" for rest of their lives, but it is more a courtesy than anything else (just like with our former presidents). If they continue to service in the military (in case of gul turned legates and back), their real rank is a gul again, although everyone would address them "legate" (while they actual rank would be lower than Brenok's )
Oh, my...that's confusing!

So are your legates still military officials, and do you still have to be military to lead?

In situation like this we have re-elections. I am not sure now, but I think this is even in our constitution. We have regulations to deal with such "conflicts", but they don't always work. And then re-elections are necessary.
I've never properly understood the parliamentary system...most countries in the Western Hemisphere follow a presidential model similar to the US (possibly because we gained our independence from our colonial power first, in this area). I try to, enough to get SOME kind of basic idea, but it's still hard.