The Dark Knight to have a female villain?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Out of the actresses listed in the thread start post:

Rachel Weisz and/or Naomi Watts. Make it so!

2. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I feel like I've already said this a million times, but I have to every time it's brought up. I can't help myself. I really really really hope there's no Harley Quinn, and I'm pretty sure there won't be since apparently Nolan once laughed at the suggestion. I love Harley. I wear a shirt with her on it proudly and she's my favourite character in the animated series, but she works best as a cartoon character and I don't think she should ever be depicted otherwise.

I'm rooting for Talia. Great character and never done in live action before. I wouldn't mind seeing Catwoman again, but I love the Julie Newmar and Michelle Pfieffer versions so much, I don't think the world necessarily needs another one. Talia and a male villain would be enough. If one actress is Talia and the second female cast is the love interest, I won't be too disappointed by the lack of Catwoman. I just can't imagine Nolan having a character named 'Catwoman' in one of his movies. Sounds too silly.

3. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a guy named Batman in it.;)

4. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. And apparently their mothers couldn't tell them apart under the makeup. Granted that was 10 years ago, but if Nolan wanted to, say, play with confusing the audience or maybe some characters about if they're seeing Talia or Selina, they could do worse. :devil:

Sillier than 'Batman'? :p

5. Leathco

Leathco Commander Red Shirt

As for myself, I'm rooting for Harley Quinn. She'd fit well in the story from Dark Knight, since I doubt they'll have another actor play Joker in the next film after the demise of the former actor portraying the role (can't remember the guys name). If done properly (big if), she'd fill in the Jokers role and maybe carve her own spot out.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

He already found a way to reimagine the Joker without him being silly, in fact he was down right sinister. Catwoman is no sillier than Batman as the poster above me indicated. This kind of logic from fans never ceases to amaze me. I really don't think we'll see Harley since she is too tied into the Joker's story and I don't think Nolan would want her to be overshadowed by that.

7. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Hahaha, it seems like such an obvious point that 'Catwoman' is no less silly-sounding than 'Batman', but I don't know, guys. A woman running around in a tight spandex or leather catsuit and being called Catwoman just sounds too whack for the Nolanverse. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on that, though. And once again, PLEASE NO HARLEY. That would be a travesty.

8. Admiral_Young

Why is the notion of Catwoman fitting in the Nolanverse so hard to believe? I can think of several different ways of how Nolan could reimagine her to fit the world he's created, none of them outrageous and you know even in reality there are some pretty way out there people. If anyone can make Batman's rouges work it's Nolan.

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

If a man dressed up as a clown with green hair and white make-up can fit into Nolan's world, then a woman dressed up in a cat burglar outfit isn't that too far-fetched.

10. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Interesting list. Out of that list, don't want Lively in the movie. Would love to see Portman as a villian. Whatever the result I have a feeling I'll be happy.

11. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or to put it another way:
    How is that even possible?

I don't understand how someone can think a guy in a batsuit fits the Nolan films but not a girl in a catsuit. It's a total dissonance.

She's ideal because she's an uninhibited Batman. Batman is going into a phase where he's a despised vigilante rather then a beloved one, and here's someone who actually uses underhanded tactics to the point that maybe Batman feels a need to take her out.

Cue arguments about the nature of justice in really growly voice and it's a wrap, people.

Wait and this Talia isn't a B-lister?

12. Admiral_Young

Talia is the daughter of arguably Bruce's greatest enemy and the mother of his child, hardly a B-Lister. I already think Nolan himself has addressed the issue of a guy running around in a bat suit, at least he did in "The Dark Knight". A theme of the movie was how Bruce's psyche could endure his ongoing war on crime. I would consider Ivy an A lister, not sure what categorizes her as B list. She may have a difficult gimmick to accept but makes her no less lethal.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would love to see Talia in this film. It would be a nice full circle from Batman Begins. Of the actresses listed, I think Weisz would fit that role the best. As for Catwoman, it's more wide open. Perhaps Naomi Watts. I can't really see Natalie Portman as either Talia or Selina. I don't know enough about the other actresses.

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I am going to pass on this movie...I only saw Batman Begins & The Dark Knight on DVD well after they were released on DVD....just not feeling this movie now.

Bring on Superman! :D

15. Admiral_Young

Kind of early to be passing on a movie that's not even casted yet. Too early to get really excited for it if you're a casual Batman fan. I would wait until a trailer comes out before making a final decision.

16. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Fair enough. :)

17. JacksonArcher

Dude, it's fucking Christopher Nolan. Man hasn't disappointed yet. You couldn't force me to pass on this movie if you put a gun to my head.

18. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have grouped Ra's al-Ghul under the B-Lister category, to be clear. Never heard of him before Batman Begins and it's really Liam Neeson that manages to make the villain work.

19. Admiral_Young

^ I trust then this means you never watched "Batman: The Animated Series" where he was voiced by the great David Warner? Or read the great 70's Dennis O'Neil stories where he was first introduced? Along with the Joker, Ra's is Bruce's greatest enemy.

20. JacksonArcher

To be fair, to general audiences they probably didn't even know about Ra's until Batman Begins. Unlike The Joker or Two-Face, who appeared in previous movies and live-action incarnations of the character before, Ra's hadn't so you can understand why most people were unfamiliar with him prior to Batman Begins.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010