Thread: Minecraft
View Single Post
Old November 11 2010, 07:52 PM   #65
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Minecraft

SMP, as I understand it, currently functions a lot like an IRC channel. So you have ops who can kick/ban people, but everyone else is equal in terms of power, and there may not always be an op awake and active on the server.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to have a "police" role where you can incarcerate/disable alleged griefers until an op can deal with them. Only users trusted by ops would be police, of course. I hear some servers already use "spawn jails," but those are proactive and a little rude (in my opinion.)

On SMP, does everyone spawn in the same location? Once PvP is available, and if it's totally unfettered, I could see griefing on PvP servers becoming very short-lived. You'd have to stage a substantial "invasion" if you wanted to be able to do much damage.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote