View Single Post
Old November 8 2010, 09:44 PM   #64
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Re: Some speculation about the Romulans and the Borg invasion

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Saying vulcans are romulans is much like saying that cold war russians were americans. With the difference that the cultural gap between these two nations was FAR FAR smaller.
Sure, but we're not talking about cultures, but about species. Vulcans and Romulans belong to different cultural groups but not to different species, at least if we're not using the most common definition of a species as "a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring." Vulcans and Romulans are interfertile, as one would expect given that they've the same homeworld and were separated only two millennia ago, hence they belong to the same species.

Also - countries generally have a population far below 50 million people. That does NOT mean their survival is biologically endangered in any way, shape or form.
Earth has almost seven billion people. I kill all but seventy million of these. This doesn't threaten the survival of the human species.

AKA, as I already said "When they wrote the script, the scenarists' intent was to have the vulcans be an endangered species (10000 of them) and the 24th century romulans be all but extinct.
Which is irrelevant since the writers have now clarified that line, stating explicitly that refers to the total number of Vulcans saved on-planet.

Of course, that does not really make sense when one
Generalising from borrowing those snippets to ~'everything from the rihannsu books that's not already contradicted is part of the lit continuity' is a poor argument, based on a logical fallacy.
It would be a logical fallacy if I said that the Rihannsu books were incorporated entirely. I didn't. Instead, I said that where possible authors were taking major cultural, historical, and other facts re: Romulan civilization as according to Duane's novels and explicitly incorporating them into the novelverse. Romulan history, culture, and language as presented in the novelverse is basically as Duane wrote them.

QUOTE]Do you actually doubt I could come with 2-3 different explanations for this (for example, the federation was trying to obtain romulan neutrality, the relevant information given at the meeting being general enough that it was common knowledge)?
Sharing highly specific plans with the Romulans seems rather risky.

Or that you could find counterarguments that I could, again, refute, generating a lenghty discussion that will never go anywhere, being, essentially, a waste of time?
With respect, if you don't like having your arguments disproved with specific citations, you don't have to make them. I'm the person providing citations, including URLs. And you?
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote