View Single Post
Old November 8 2010, 05:23 PM   #30
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: Would it really matter if the next Trek series were on linear TV?

from a blog post last week:
In what I think will become the dominant trend, Mattel are creating their own programming and going public with it via Hulu.
Hudsun Media’s CEO Michael Rourke.

“What we are doing with Mattel and Genuine Ken is a complete game changer, ” said Rourke. We have created a wildly compelling, network-quality reality show that, for the first time, can be distributed directly to the viewer in a non-traditional but very effective way.”
8-episode online reality show, Genuine Ken: The Search for the Great American Boyfriend. The kicker, each episode is a full 22-minutes—the same length as a half-hour TV show

To be sure, a competition reality show with 20-something bachelors isn’t exactly kids fare. So just who is this series aimed at? “The series is targeted to grown-up girls and boys,” Mattel’s Michelle Chidoni informs us.
To host the show, the producers tapped rising fashion icon, and reality star, Whitney Port
Who Needs TV Networks?
November 4th, 2010
http://news.tubefilter.tv/2010/10/29...right-to-hulu/
via

This is the kind of direct-to-Hulu (or Direct-to-Netflix or Direct-to-youtube) i'm talking about where a network may not be involved for broadcasting the show. Would the budget be there for Star Trek?

BillJ wrote: View Post
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
I have about twenty-five hundred dollars worth of <i>Star Trek</i> in Blu-Ray/DVD and pay one-hundred and sixty dollars a month for cable programming.
wow BillJ that is some Trek library. I assume you are talking <u>original</u> suggested retail price.<br />
<br />
$160./month for cable television is really a lot (if that does not include a monthly internet access fee).<br />
<br />
You may want to consider trying a month with Hulu (free), and a Netflix account if you are <u>not</u> a major sports fan. I'm only suggesting it. No need to flame me.<br />
also BillJ <see this thread:<br />
<b><a href="http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=47612" target="_blank">Is Netflix a Rip-off?</a></b><br />
<br />
Obviously live programs such as sports and news are not conducive to the Netflix, Hulu, iTunes Store options.

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; November 8 2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: add blog post
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote